Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of criminal litigation experience.
18321761

In Ghana do they impose declaration fee on passport holders?

Customer Question

in Ghana do they impose declaration fee on passport holders? And typical amount if they do. Please advise. Thank you kindly.
JA: The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Immigration Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: my friend allegedly cant leave till declaration fee is acquired and shown
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Immigration Lawyer should know?
Customer: This person is an avowed christian
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm sorry to tell you that your friend is not real. She's just an internet romance scammer. In Ghana, that's typically a group of young adult males hiding behind the profile and photo of some sexy woman they have stolen from the web and trying to tease men out of their money. People who are true Christians find it very hard to believe that someone else may be lying about their faith in God. But she is lying all the same. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DECLARATION FEE TO LEAVE GHANA. The Declaration fee, like its first cousin the Basic Travel Allowance are phony requirements you only see in romance frauds. Their whole purpose is to give your "friend" a reasonable excuse to ask you for money. Ghana doesn't charge anything to a traveler to leave Ghana. And if you think otherwise, you can see that Ghana's own Immigration Service will tell you the same thing!!I am linking you to their site so that you can read the Ghana Immigration Service's warning for yourself. You will find the warning on their the site's FAQ page, which you can locate at the bottom of the the column on the left on their home page:http://www.ghanaimmigration.org/Not only does Ghana not require money to leave, but the US absolutely doesn't require anyone to show money in order to enter the US. The US State Department warns of getting involved with someone claiming to be in Ghana who is professing love to you online. As part of that, they warn about the BTA/Declaration fee as well, and say what I have already told you.Our government's warning reads:"Beware of anyone who requests funds for a BTA, or Basic Travel Allowance, as a requirement to depart another country for the United States. There is no such thing as a BTA. In other cases, your Internet friend will claim to need a travel allowance, or travel money, to be able to travel to the United States. Again, there is no such requirement under U.S. law"Your so-called friend has asked you for the one thing which even the Ghanaian government and the US Department of State say is an outright scam.You need to cease all contact with her and report her to your police if you sent her money and to the FBI at IC3.gov whether you sent her money or not.I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's best that you find this out now than later on when you are far more emotionally and financially invested in trying to bring her over here.