Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

We are two healthy seniors, retired and financially

Customer Question

Hello, we are two healthy seniors, retired and financially independent......... wanting to move to the U.S. permanently..........how does one begin the process and is it possible.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Unfortunately, there is no retirement visa available to come to the U.S. Are you looking to work or to invest? If so, how much money do you have to invest? And you hold citizenship or citizenships in which countries?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are Canadians and what amount is required to invest??
Probably around $200,000 or so and in an active business, not in a home. Would you be able to do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
were not interested in working, could invest but what type of investment are you referring to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
o.k. thank you thats enough information
It doesn't matter as long as it is an active business of which you are involved in. It can be a coffee shop, a laundry mat, a restaurant, etc. Usually attorneys do not take cases of E visas for less than a $200,000 investment because they do not want to risk losing the case and having an upset client because the client has to have the money already invested and at risk and if it is denied, they have to try to sell the business or something to try to recoup their investment.Here is a link to the E-2 if you want to read more:http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/e-2-treaty-investorsIf you own a business outside of the U.S. for more than 1 year and will continue to run that business, you can invest $100,000 or more in a U.S. business (doesn't have to be the same business, but must be related by ownership) and you can try for an L-1A visa. Here is a link to that, but keep in mind that both businesses have to be run and should be successful. You can't just come to the U.S. and forget about the business outside and let it die: http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/l-1a-intracompany-transferee-executive-or-manager The options are limited. As I said, there is no retirement visa in the U.S. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Do not worry, Robert, you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So review my last post and let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to answer them for you.
Hello Robert. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Hello. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!