Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration

I adopted my daughter from Kazakhstan 15 years ago and did

Customer Question

I adopted my daughter from Kazakhstan 15 years ago and did not realize her permanent resident card expired. How do I get a new one. Also, I've read that when you adopt internationally, your child automatically becomes a citizen. How do I readopt so she can have a birth certificate from the town we live in?
Submitted: 5 months ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Under the Child Citizenship Act, children adopted abroad automatically acquire U.S. citizenship if at least one of the child's parents is a U.S. citizen, the child was under 18, and the child lives in the legal and physical custody of the American citizen parent, the child is admitted into the United States as an immigrant for lawful permanent residence, and the adoption is final. So it sounds like she would be a US Citizen. If so, all you have to do is to get a US Certificate of Citizenship for her to confirm this. See HERE. She can then get a US Passport. IF FOR SOME REASON SHE IS NOT A US CITIZEN BUT A PERMANENT GREENCARD HOLDER, then if she had a greencard (lawful permanent residence) and the document has expired, you can simply file to get a NEW one for her. The document expires; the status of permanent residence does not. Find the form HERE. AGAIN HOWEVER, if she is a US Citizen, then she does not need a greencard because permanent residence/greencard is a step below citizenship. So either she is a permanent resident, or she is a citizen - not both. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!