Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

1) Can an H-1B worker do stock trading like

Customer Question

::FOR JAMES::
1) Can an H-1B worker do stock trading like buying and selling capital shares/stocks or buy/sell on shopping websites like Amazon.com in US?
2) Can an H-4 dependent do stock trading like buying and selling capital shares/stocks or buy/sell on shopping websites like Amazon.com in US?
3) What are the do's and don'ts when it comes to money matters for individuals with H-1B and H4 status?
4) When changing status from H-1B to H4, what should one be aware of apart from not working for paychecks? Is there a checklist of tasks to be taken care of?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 10 months ago.
Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James. I will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I need to give you a thorough answer. Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important. I do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces. Also, if you want me to be your personal Expert, just write FOR JAMES at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert. ::FOR JAMES::QUESTION 1) Can an H-1B worker do stock trading like buying and selling capital shares/stocks or buy/sell on shopping websites like Amazon.com in US? ANSWER: No. The USCIS takes the position that you are not here to earn a living. You are here to assist a US company that needs you to fill a specialty occupation. You can invest in a company by purchasing sticks, but you cannot do "trading," per se. In other words, you cannot be a "trader." You can simply have a brokerage account, purchase stocks, and earn dividends by doing nothing. You can buy on Amazon.com, but you cannot sell on Amazon as a way to earn income. You cannot be involved in day-to day activities related to an Amazon business. QUESTION 2) Can an H-4 dependent do stock trading like buying and selling capital shares/stocks or buy/sell on shopping websites like Amazon.com in US? ANSWER: See above. QUESTION 3) What are the do's and don'ts when it comes to money matters for individuals with H-1B and H4 status? ANSWER: You cannot earn any income from gainful work or employment from any source other than the one for which you have been sponsored. You can invest in a company and sit back and let the dividends come back to you, but you cannot be involved in the day-to-day activities of a business or company or activity that gives you an income.QUESTION 4) When changing status from H-1B to H4, what should one be aware of apart from not working for paychecks? Is there a checklist of tasks to be taken care of? ANSWER: I'm not sure what you mean. But if it involves work of any type that is not just "here is my money, and here are your returns," I would avoid it. I hope I have answered your questions. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that. Otherwise, kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. You can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating. REMINDER: I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating for my customer service is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked; I am sure you agree that would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Keep in mind, you are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger. Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you. A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it. If you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category. Thank you!
Expert:  Expert James replied 9 months ago.
Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers. I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next. Thank you.