Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

On April 22nd got the decision of my I-539 COS being

Customer Question

Hi
On April 22nd got the decision of my I-539 COS being denied. I came to the US in July 15 2015 on a B-2 visa and it expired on 15th of Jan. Pre-emptively, on 28th Dec I had applier for a I-539 COS based on an I-20 from a university with the hopes of converting to F-1 student visa.
Questions:
1/ When can I re-enter US on my B-2 visa? Will there be any problems traveling back to US?
2/ Can I get an extension of stay? If yes how?
3/ Can I re-apply for a fresh F-1 if I do go back to my home country?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay as I may also be assisting other customers at the same time and I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.
Sorry for the delay. 1) The general idea (not a rule or law), is that you spend more time outside of the U.S. than inside of the U.S. If your visa is still valid and you spent let's say 8 months in the U.S., you should probably spend 9 or 10 months or more outside. The more, the better. 2) If you are still in the U.S. and asking if you can apply for an extension of the stay, unfortunately, at this point you cannot. Besides, even if you could apply, you would probably be denied. 3) Yes, you could and that's probably the better option at this time. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Hello Varun. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Hello. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!