Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

My name is***** and I have a bit of a dilemma.

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** and I have a bit of a dilemma. I met my filipina fiance online and we've been dating for two years almost to the day. My plan was to visit her there in the Philippines this summer once I had finished saving up for all the expenses since her country requires the American to visit there first. However, when I inquired about renewing my passport it was brought to my attention that if I owe back child support then my passport would most likely be denied. The amount that I owe is well over $2500 but I'm making monthly payments as consistently as I can. My question is, is there a way around this? What would be the easiest way to get her here and what would be the requirements? I read that she could file for a tourist visa, or immigrant visa but what exactly would be needed for that to happen. Do I need to earn a certain amount and if I do not meet that requirement could my Dad possibly sponsor her? I would like to know your thoughts on this situation as I really do love her and am serious about being with her. Thank you in advance!
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My question is, is there a way around this? Unfortunately no. To get your passport you must be up to date on child support. What would be the easiest way to get her here and what would be the requirements? I read that she could file for a tourist visa, or immigrant visa but what exactly would be needed for that to happen. The only option for petitioning her as a fiance or as a married couple (immigrant visa CR-1) is for her to visit her here if you cannot get to her. You need to see each other one way or another for both of those options. There's no way around that in your situation. But Yes, she can try to apply for a tourist visa. She has to do that directly in her country and show significant ties to her country such as a good job, bank account in her country, business ownership, property ownership, etc are some of the examples of ways to do that. Do I need to earn a certain amount and if I do not meet that requirement could my Dad possibly sponsor her?If you are able to see eachother then at that point you can either file a fiance visa for her or if you get married when you see her then you would be filing for the immigrant visa CR-1. Yes you do need to earn enough. If you have no dependents, you need to earn at least $20,025. If you do not earn enough then yes, your father or any other person who is a citizen or resident in the US can act as a joint sponsor (like a co-signer). Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal. Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.
Hello again Corey: I am just checking in to make sure you were able to view my answer to you. Please let me know if there is anything else I can clarify for you. Happy to help.Hope to have earned your positive rating. We do not earn a salary on this website so the only way we receive any credit at all for our time is through your rating by choosing the stars or happy faces. Thanks in advance.