Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

CAN I MARRY A HOLIDAY VISA HOLDER WHO LOST HIS LEGAL STATUS.

Customer Question

CAN I MARRY A HOLIDAY VISA HOLDER WHO LOST HIS LEGAL STATUS. I AM AN F1 STUDENT, IS IT POSSIBLE FOR US TO MARRY AND GET HIS STATUS REINSTATED LEGALLY.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 7 months ago.
Hellomy name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigrationlawyer.What status did he enter with and when did his status expire?Judith
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He entered on B2 and it has already expired a year ago.
Expert:  Judith replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.There are two questions here.Can you marry someone who has gone out of status?The answer to that is yes.Can he apply for a change of status to F2 as your dependent here in the US?No and if he departs he will trigger a 10 year bar to being allowed to re-enter as an F2 without a discretionary waiver., I am sure you understand your positive ratingis very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receivecompensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ starsIn the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will beyour personal immigration expert.Judith