Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

Can I travel safely in the US with valid foreign passport even

Customer Question

Can I travel safely in the US with valid foreign passport even though my visa expired? Thanks.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. This depends on what you mean by "safely." No one checks your passport for buses, for example. However if you wish to board a domestic flight, TSA will require a valid ID. "Calid" ID means an unexpired passport. Seldom does TSA check your visa to see if it is current on domestic flights. However, some airports do check for valid visas as a matter of due course or discretion - and who is doing so always changes. In addition, if you are selected for a security check and it is found out that your visa is out of status, ICE may be notified.As such, while this is possible, there is a chance of being caught. So I would not do so. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!