Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

In 2006, I was arrested and charged with assault .when I

Customer Question

Hi in 2006, I was arrested and charged with assault .when I went to court, I plead no contest. the judge said I was going to be on one year probation and if no other incident occur, charges will be dropped. I am in process of renewing my green care. I requested a copy of my credit history,from commonwealth of Va and it came back saying no convivtion data, does not preclude the existence of an arrest record. My question is will I have a problemgetting my green card?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to aswer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer. USCIS runs name and biometrics checks through as many as 15 law enforcement date systems.Getting a clean history fro a civilian credit reporting history is not going to mean your arrest does not show up.When you went before the judge were you given Probation before Judgment which means the judge called your case, you were not required to plead to any guilt or innocence. Instead the judge adjourned your case for 1 year and if you stayed out of trouble in that one year your case would be dismissed.OR did you have to admit to your guilt or the facts of the case before the judge?Judith