Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

Still there?

Customer Question

Hello, still there?
JA: The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: My father was born in Panama in 1941 and also became a U.S. citizen when he turned 18. I am his daughter and in my 40's, I want to know if I also have Panamanian citizenship through my father. I read your response to the other question along these lines. You mentioned that if you're over 18 you must go through the naturalization process which among other things requires that you live in Panama for five years first. How do you legally live in work in Panama during those first five years?
JA: I've lived in Detroitall of my life.
Customer: Is that relevant?
JA: OK. The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I haven't contacted a lawyer yet.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Immigration Lawyer can help you best.
Customer: I'm interested in moving to Panama. My father is Panamanian and my grandfather is as well, and still lives in Panama. I lived there when I was a teenager in the 80's. I am now in my 40's. As the child of a Panamanian, I want to know what I have to do to live there legally.
JA: Is there anything else the Immigration Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: That should be enough to start the conversation.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay as I may also be assisting other customers at the same time and I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.
Ok, so let me verify, you are asking not about U.S. Citizenship, you want to know about acquiring Panamanian citizenship, correct?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, that is correct. I am an American asking about Panamanian citizenship.
Ok. I do not believe we have experts on the laws of Panama on this specific site. What you can do, if you want to make sure you get someone licensed in Panama with such experience, is that I can put in for a refund for you here and you can go to our sister site, www.justanswer.es and post your question there in our "Ley de Panama" forum. It may be good if you also write the question in Spanish. I'm sure you could use https://translate.google.com/ if you have any trouble. Let me know what you would like to do. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, let's do that - give me a refund. Afterward, I will then try the sister site. Thanks.
Sounds great. Will do!