Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

I have been dating a Philippine woman than 3 years. She visit US several times in

Customer Question

I have been dating a Philippine woman for more than 3 years. She visit US several times in the past. She will visit again in a couple month. Can I marry her in US and apply for a change of cisa for her to stay. We are both senior.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. If she enters the US as a tourist with intentions to only come here on a temporary basis, but then once she is in the US she suddenly decides to marry you and remain in the US, that is legal. She is allowed to do that. However, it is different if she enters the US as a tourist with intentions to stay here permanently. That is illegal. The big distinction is the intentions upon entering. How do the customs officers know the person's intentions? The main way they know is by asking the person their reason for coming to the US. But If for any reason they are still suspicious about the person's intentions they can continue to question them in person and they can also search all their belongings including phone, computer, bags, email, etc. in order to find any evidence of intentions to stay in the US permanently. You would have to keep that in mind.Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal. Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.