Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of criminal litigation experience.

I have someone who wants to send me gold bars from Ghana

Customer Question

Hi I have someone who wants to send me gold bars from Ghana to the U.S. and said that customs won't ship it until it receives $10,000 is this legit
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: There are several small gold bars that a friend has recieved and has started the shipping process and when it go when it got to customs was stopped and then was asked for the money
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Immigration Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, This is a scam we hear all the time, and I already know without you telling me that your so-called friend is an online romance that you have never met in person in your life. She has also probably told you that the gold is part of her inheritance. Frequently, the so-called heiress also claims that her inheritance is contingent on her finding the right man to marry. And then, suddenly, though you've never met her in your life and have no idea if she is real or not, tag, you're it. You're told that you're the right man and that it's your job to receive her inheritance so that you and she can live happily and wealthily ever after. She may even tell you that she has put the gold into your name and sent you so-called high court orders to that effect. The scam often comes complete with phony documents that are not remotely legal, with phony barristers and phony customs agents. Sometimes, there's even a phony proxy marriage ceremony. All of this is nonsense, and all you really have are a team of scammers working hard to find ways to convince you that you're obligated to wire money to Ghana to help get this gold. And more money. And more money. And more money. All to get gold that doesn't really exist to woo a woman who doesn't really exist either. Ghana is a very poor third world country, but the country does have gold mines and the government strictly controls how and when gold can leave Ghana. One must make arrangements with the government to send gold abroad. It all must go through Ghana's PMMC, a government agency that regulates gold exports. So this scenario could never really occur. You can read how gold must be exported from Ghana here. Your friend is a scammer. Cease all contact with her. Send no money. Report the fraud online to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at