Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

My grandfather is 76 years old and would like to apply for

Customer Question

My grandfather is 76 years old and would like to apply for US citizenship. Someone told us that the fingerprint and interview procedure would be waived. Is it true. if the procedures are waived, please provide us some proof of the law or regulation. They said that if he has certain illness could be exempted. Can you tell us what kind of illness could be considered
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My names is James. I will be assisting you. Please allow me some time to review your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are going to answer me on line now or you are going to email me?
Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I need to give you a thorough answer. Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important. I do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces. Also, if you want me to be your personal Expert, just write FOR JAMES at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert. Your answers will be in this interface, not through email. But you will receive notifications in your email that I have responded. Please note that I will be stepping away from the system for about 30 minutes for a scheduled lunch. Rest assured that I will be back to continue assisting you. If you understand that, please answer the following: How long has he been in the United States?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
more than 30 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its easier for me to be online than tel conversation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been ling in the US for more than 30 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still on line. Do you have any question for me
Sir/Madam, You are not required to accept the telephone call. However please remember that I mentioned I would be taking a scheduled 30-minute break for lunch. Also, it takes some time to prepare responses - they are not single sentence answers. Your patience is very much appreciated.
OK, and how long has he been a permanent resident in the US? For how many years?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been a permanent resident in the US for more than 30 years.
Thank you very much for your patience. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you! ANSWER: It is not true that the fingerprint and interview will be waived. But there are certain exemptions that he is eligible for. He is exempt from the ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT, but is still required to take the civics test. He will be permitted to take the civics test in his native language. If he takes it in his native language, he must bring an interpreter with him to his interview. The interpreter must be fluent in English and his native language. Because he is older than 65 and has been a permanent resident for at least 20 years, he will be given special consideration regarding the civics exam. They will administer specially designated test forms. He may take the civics test in his language of choice using an interpreter.​ If he is eligible for the Medical Disability Exception, he may be exempted from the English requirement, the civics exam, or both. Here is information on the Medical Disability Exemption: https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartE-Chapter3.html I hope I have answered your questions. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that. Otherwise, kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. You can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating. REMINDER: I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating for my customer service is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked; I am sure you agree that would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Keep in mind, you are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger. Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you. A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it. If you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category. Thank you!
Hi again, I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above. Please post it again, so I can continue to assist you. Thank you!
Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers. I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next. Thank you.