Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

My CONDITIONAL permanent residency card expires on November

Customer Question

My CONDITIONAL permanent residency card expires on November 12, 2017. If I need to submit my petition to remove the conditional status 90 days before this date ( no later than August 12, 2017), is it advisable to have my name changed?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. But you got your conditional green card issued because of your marriage to a U.S. Citizen, correct? And did you change your name on the marriage certificate? And then later put in the changed name in your I-485?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Yes, my conditional green card was issued due to marriage to a US citizen. I didn't have my name changed on the marriage certificate and not put in the i-485 since I haven't gotten my court change request at that time and we were pressed for time (too many things going on with the wedding, moving in, etc.) I do already have a court order with my name change BUT I was advised by a friend that since I already received this conditional green card with the unchanged name, that I shouldn't go ahead with further name changes in other personal accounts (e.g., bank, employment, etc.) Until now, I am still using the same name to be consistent. I do not know when to do this name change.
The legal name change has already been done. So you are supposed to start changing everything at this point. If you want to chance your green card at this point, you cannot do it with an I-751 until the 90 day period before your green card expires. You would need to file an I-90 to get a new green card now with your new name. Here is a link: https://www.uscis.gov/i-90 If you aren't going to travel any time soon, then you can wait until the 90 day period before expiration of your green card, but if you anticipate travel before then, then you may want to file the I-90 to get the name on your green card changed. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello Rowena. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Hello. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!