Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

How long can i stay in US upon cancellation of my H1B visa. I

Customer Question

How long can i stay in US upon cancellation of my H1B visa.
I also have a 10 years tourist visa too at the moment.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 8 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.USCIS has issued a policy Memorandum that states you must depart immediately upon the termination of your status. That occurs with your being terminated from the payroll as an employee and termination of all benefits.https://www.uscis.gov/tools/ombudsman-liaison/practical-immigration-consequences-foreign-workers-slowing-economyPrior to your last day on the payroll you may file for a change of status from H1B to B2 for a reasonable period of time to get your personal affairs in order for departure. The I-539 form must be received bu USCIS BEFORE your last day on payroll.You must include a statement of your need for the change of status and time to arrange your personal affairs, copy of your return ticket home and evidence you can pay your living expenses while here without working.Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ starsIn the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.Judith
Expert:  Judith replied 7 months ago.
May I answer anything additional for you to earn you rsatisfaction. I strive to give good customer service and comprehensive answers.I feel I have failed you. Please tell me what additional information would be helpful.Judith