How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4291
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question

***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I will have a woman from china coming here on a 15 day tourist visa and we might get married here in the usa will she be able to stay and get a green card or become a citizen?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Immigration Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. Are you a US citizen? Don't worry, you are not charged additionally for this question.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
If you are a US citizen, then the short answer is YES. Legally if she enters the US as a tourist with intentions of only coming temporarily as a tourist, but then once inside the US you two decide to get married, she will be able to stay and get a green card first. Once she has a green card for 3 years, she can apply for US citizenship. The important thing to keep in mind here is her intentions. She cannot have the intention to come and stay here permanently when entering as only a tourist. This is considered visa fraud and she could get into a lot of trouble. How will they know her intentions? The customs officer cannot know her intentions for sure, only what she tells them. However, if they are suspicious of her intentions when they speak to her, they do have the authority to take her to a separate room to interrogate her further and they also have the right to search her bags, phone, and all belongings if she wants to enter the US. I know immigration issues sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with application preparation or review, I can send you an offer for this legal service to you for a reasonable fee later on. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind. Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal. Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.