Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Can a person work legally without social security number if

Customer Question

can a person work legally without social security number if employer puts all zeros as ss number?
Submitted: 8 months ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

What is the person's current legal status? How did they get that status? Do they have a work permit?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hi Guilermo, I don't know the answer to these questions ,,can u reply to me when u get this ,so I can respond tomorrow?

Of course. Take your time. The question does not close.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hi, Guilermo, I haven't spoken to the employee yet,but I read as long as they have applied for the ss number , I can put them on the payroll legally, because the can provide a paper saying 'applied for' and I can call my payroll company and put them on the books -the payroll company gives them all zero 000 ss number, then when they get ss number ,we will out corrected w2 etc...is this true?

It's not enough to have an SS#. If you want to truly be covered, you need to follow the I-9 especially the last page:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-9.pdf

IF he provides a valid and unexpired work permit, then I would feel safe because he will be getting a social security number shortly. If that is the case, then update the number when you get it.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Louis. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Hello. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!