How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4495
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend came here with international students visa and he

Customer Question

My friend came here with international students visa and he still goes to school but he wants to adjust his status to permanent resident already, he has been here for more than 1 year and since all of his friends already adjusted their statuses and they don't want to help him and he doesnt know what do....what can he do to get an adjustment of status to get a green card
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Unfortunately it is not so easy to just become a permanent resident. There has to be a basis for it. Usually the two most common are employment based or family based. Here are all the ways with some information on each.

1. The most common way is through a person's family. This must be through only close relatives that must be US citizen or legal permanent residents who petitions the person. These would be his spouse, parent or child if they are 21 and over, or also through a sibling... If the person has one of those in the US, they can petition for the person to get their permanent residency in the US. Aunts, Uncles, cousins, etc cannot petition.

2. The next way is through a job/employment. He can try for a green card through employment . It depends on his educational background to know if he qualifies for certain jobs and ofcourse he would need a job offer and show that he would not be taking a job away from a US citizen or resident in the US through a complicated process called a labor certification. If he is successful through that part then he moved on to the I-140. For this, the less experience and education he has the more difficult and longer this will take and he cannot wait here while he waits unless he continues to have another visa.

3. Investing in the US is another way to get your green card here. If someone can invest at least $500,000 in a company in the US, there is a special green card program.

You would also have to create 10 or more jobs for U.S. workers through this investment.

4. The next way is applying for asylum.

You must prove that if he returned to his home country, he will be persecuted there on account of your religion, race, nationality, religion, or membership in a particular social group.

He would have to show that he would be persecuted for the reasons I listed. It has to be something that is happening only to him or a small group and not to the general population. woHeuld have to apply for this within 1 year of entering the US.

5. The last option is through the diversity visa.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again..

I am just checking in to see if you were able to read my answer to you and if you had any follow up questions I can help with. Hopefully I have earned your positive rating and you can come back to the website to issue the rating. We only receive credit when you issue a positive rating. Thanks for your consideration of our work.