Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I have a current TD Visa (Canadian citizen married to a TN

Customer Question

hi there, I have a current TD Visa (Canadian citizen married to a TN Visa holder.) My husband and I are separating and I want to cancel my TD Visa. How do I do this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. We've lived in the US for roughly 6 years. During this time he has always held a TN visa and I've always held a TD visa. My husband and I separated last month and I have returned to Canada with my two children. I have no intention to ever return or live in the US again since the TD restricted me from not working.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Immigration Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

It would automatically be cancelled by operation of law as soon as the divorce goes through. There is no affirmative requirement for you or your spouse to report that to immigration. So do not worry about it. IF you want to bother yourself, you can write a simple letter to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest you explaining that you got a divorce and want to make sure the TD is cancelled. You can include a copy of your TD visa and divorce certificate, but like I said, it is not required as it will happen automatically and there is no requirement for you to do anything.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.