How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28482
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am presently working on H1B visa at a client site. I came

Customer Question

I am presently working on H1B visa at a client site.
I came to the US on F1 visa in August 2007 and completed my M.S. and Ph.D. in August 2013. I started working on my OPT with my present employer, which is a staffing agency and they sponsored my H1B visa and it was picked up in May 2015. My project with the client ended on August 2015 and I joined a new client in October 2015. My H1B amendment was approved in March 2016.
I have not gone for stamping yet. I plan to go to India soon for getting my H1B visa stamped.
My present employer has only provided me with my LCA and I-129. They have not given me the I-129 cover letter (letter to the USCIS). I am assuming that they might not provide me with all supporting documents that were filed for my H1B amendment. There is risk involved in going for visa interview without all required documents.
I want to know if I can get help from a law firm in any of the following matters:
1) If I join a new / different employer, keeping the present end client same, before I have gone for stamping, can I get help from your firm. Given the fact that my present employer might not agree to provide all documents, I am not sure if this is even possible. If it is possible I can start talking to a new employer about transferring my H1B visa. Then we can also discuss about engaging your services. If the new employer asks for certain documents which my present employer is not willing to provide, then I might not be able to transfer my H1B to the new employer.
2) I was considering the possibility of getting my documents from USCIS, that were submitted by my present employer at the time of filling my H1B amendment. Can you help in communicating with the USCIS and requesting for my documents ? I am not even sure if this is a possibility as per the law, so I am asking in an email.
If any of the above 2 routes are possible, please let me know and we can discuss about engaging your services. Please reply as soon as possible.
My mobile number is(###) ###-####
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

The Terms of Service do not allow for experts at JustAnswer to represent you as a client. We may only have contact with you through the website.

Therefore, since our service is to provide general information and not to provide representation or give advice specific to a customer's fact pattern, your request for service is outside the scope of what we can do for you.

I'm sorry, but those are the rules set forth when you sign up for using the site.

I can tell you that you may attempt to obtain a copy of the documents submitted with your petition through a Freedom of Information Act request. There is no charge for filing the G-639

You really can do this on your own without an attorney.


Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Judith, Since my question is outside the scope of what you do, will I be charged for the response you gave ?
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 12 months ago.

No you are only charged when you rate an answer. If you paid a deposit you may contact customer service and they will refund any deposit charged to your account, no problem.

Or click on the "HELP" tab at the bottom of your question page.


Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Judith, So I assume that you cannot answer my first question: which is, can I change my employer before getting my H1B visa stamped ?