Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

My I-20 status was terminated withdrawal of classes in

Customer Question

My I-20 status was terminated for unauthorized withdrawal of classes in january 2016. Now, I am in my home country. If I get new I20 from different university, do I have to appeare for visa interview to get my f1 status back?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I studied but not completed MS in mechanical engineering in california state university, Long beach under f1 status. I dropped class below minimum required credit limit in fall 15 semester. So, university terminate my I-20 and my f1 status was gone. Now, that I have left USA for two months, what should I do reenter USA under f1 status. Thank you
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Immigration Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

When did your school report you to SEVIS as terminated?

Have you paid new SEVIS fee?

Judith

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My school terminated my SEVIS 2 months ago in January 2016. I am now out of USA. I have not paid SEVIS fee because I dont have new I20 from other college and I will get new I20 this month. My question is that do I need to go for visa interview again because I have valid visa untill 2019.
Expert:  Judith replied 8 months ago.

No since you are returning to the US within 5 months of your SEVIS being terminated you do not need to get anew visa stamping.

You may enter with the new I-20 and the old visa stamp and not have any problems at the port of entry as long as you enter within 5 months of termination of SEVIS.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith