Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I want to know if I need to file form 8854. I gave up my

Customer Question

Hi. I want to know if I need to file form 8854. I gave up my green card in 2015 which i received in 2012. And if i need to file my taxes for 2015?
Also, I haven't been in the states for very extended period of time. In all of those years, i have been there at the most 30 days. Also, it says Long-term residence applies if you were a permanent resident of US in at least 8 of the last 15 tax years. So technically, can i get exempt?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hi. I want to know if I need to file form 8854. I gave up my green card in 2015 which i received in 2012.

Response 1: Yes, you need to file Form 8854 and also inform the Department of Homeland Security of your expatriation act, if you have not already done so via official relinquishment of your Green Card.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-407

And if i need to file my taxes for 2015?

Response 2: Yes, you do.

Response 3: Being a long term resident means that you must file Form 8854 in order for IRS to exempt you from future filing of tax returns.