Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

N400 filed Dec last year and stuck in processing backlog. GC

Customer Question

N400 filed Dec last year and stuck in processing backlog. GC expiring in few months and filing I90 now. Will I90 filing impact N400 and vice versa?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Did you file your N-400 at least 6 months in advance of your GC expiring?

If you did, then when you had your biometrics done the application support center should hae put a sticker on your I-551 extending it for a year.

Filing the I-90 does not affect your pending N-400, nor does the pending N-400 accept your ability to file the I-90 but you could save yourself some money if you filed at least 6 months before your GC expired.

You can make an InfoPass appointment and take the N-400 I-797 fee receipt and ask them to put a temporary I-551 stemp in your passport just before the I-551 expires.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.