Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

I am a legal permanent resident (Greencard) and live in

Customer Question

I am a legal permanent resident (Greencard) and live in California. I have the German and Swiss citizenships and would like to get the American citizenship without losing my German and Swiss. How do I proceed? Thank you.
Gabriele Wampfler
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

The US has no problems with you having dual citizenship.

Like the US, Switzerland permits dual citizenship

However, Germany will not allow it and will take your German passport from you unless you request permission of the German government in advance to obtain citizenship of a non EU country in advance. You have to satisfy the German government you have substantial property and relatives in Germany. Contact the German Embassy prior to applying for US naturalization to have them determine if you will qualify to keep your German citizenship

My good friend just went to the German Embassy two weeks ago to get her son a German Passport and they asked my friend for her green card ans when she told them she had US passport they took her German passport from her.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.