Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney
26296561

My father, a UK citizen wants to travel to the US where I am

Customer Question

My father, a UK citizen wants to travel to the US where I am now living with my wife and 2 baby daughters. He had a conviction for fraud in 1991 which he completed his sentence on and has since held down a reliable and stable job with no further crimes or convictions. There was not a question covering this in the ESTA so we answered no to everything. The ESTA was denied. I am now wondering whether it was denied because I completed it from my home inside the US but did not tick that I was completing on his behalf (3rd party) and realised I completed it as if I were him. Perhaps it was denied because it thought he was already (illegally) inside the US? Can this happen? If so, what are my options? Can I get him to re-do the ESTA from his home inside the UK? Would that be approved so soon after already having one denied? Or might it have been denied because they are aware of his conviction from long ago?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Generally, a criminal conviction for a major crime such as fraud, would make a person pemanently ineligible for ESTA and also, in most cases, would make such convicted person permanently ineligible for a US visa, regardless of when conviction took place.

Failing to disclose such conviction on ESTA application would constitute visa fraud and not only make the applicant permanently ineligible to enter the USA, but can also subjce the applicant to a federal criminal prosecution for visa fraud.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Thank you.