Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I just received approval on my I-140 filed Dec 9 2015. I am

Customer Question

Hi
I just received approval on my I-140 filed Dec 9 2015.
I am applying for an EB1C, country of origin Switzerland so current availability.
I am with the Texas service center.
How long will the I-485 normally now take, we did concurrently file.
Kind regards
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Probably 6 months to a year or so processing for the I-485. You can try to expedite, but you have to have a legitimate emergency. Here is a link:

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi. I'm rather confused by this answer. When I look at the processing times there appears to be approximately a 1 month difference between the i-140 and i-485 at the Texas service center. If it is 6months as you suggest, that would mean I-485 is 3months slower than they suggest? Currently the are stating that at the end of Jan they were dealing with June applications.
Does concurrent filing not speed up the processing? Or does the time start for I-485 only when the I-140 is started?

Concurrent filing does not "speed" up the process. They can process both the I-140 and I-485 together, but as you see, if they are working on I-485s today that were filed June of 2015, that is looking like a 9 month processing time. So when I said 6 months to a year, I was correct. It's about 9 months. Sometimes they speed up and sometimes they slow down. This is why I give a span of time and not just say 9 months.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have an un-answered question there and I was looking for some real life experience also.Thanks for trying, but I'll just wait and see what happens.

Not sure what you mean by that. The website clearly says June 2015 which roughly translates to 9 months. So why doesn't that clear answer satisfy you? And why are you so concerned about it? Do you need to leave that employer?

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi. The answer did not help really. I have contradiction of what you are saying from two other attorneys. Basically they are saying the normal wait (not guaranteed) after a I-140 is approved on a concurrent filing is between 4 weeks and 4months. Maybe you were meaning the total duration in your answer, but my question was related to the time between I-140 and I-485, maybe that was not clear. :)
Kind regards

That has not been my experience. My experience is that they take longer than family-based I-485s. But why are you so worried about it? And if the website clearly says they are processing cases filed in June 2015 and that fits into my estimate, it seems we have an official website and one attorney that says X, and two attorneys without supporting evidence saying Y. It seems to me like you just want to go with the answer that best serves you and that's not what I am about. I am here to tell the truth or give my opinion on what experience and evidence I have available. So I ask again, why are you so worried about the difference? Do you need to leave the petitioning employer? That's a different problem and even if you get the approval within 4 weeks, that doesn't mean you should immediately leave the employer because it could subject you to a fraud investigation.