Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

Judith. So my friend who is an Au Pair on a J1 visa has

Customer Question

Hello Judith.
So my friend who is an Au Pair on a J1 visa has decided to leave the program.
The program director is saying she only has 3 days after she decides to leave to stay in the country. However, I thought a J1 visa when it ended gave you a grace period before you had to leave to get things in order (3 days seems really short). What are the federal rules around a J1 Au Pair visa after the Au Pair leaves the program? Is there a grace period of 30 days or something like that? I want to make sure she follows federal guidelines because it seems like the program she is in has really strict guidelines.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 7 months ago.

The grace period only applies if the au pair has COMPLETED the program. Inthat event they get 30 days to prepare for travel.

The J1 program director must notify SEVIS within 3 days of termination of status if they leave the program early.

She is immediately out of status from the date SEVIS record is terminated (3 days).

She must pack up and leave within that 3 days.