Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration

I have an expired Card...... 2 years plus and have been

Customer Question

I have an expired Green Card...... 2 years plus and have been living in Spain...what do I do to renew this form and are there any restrictions when I do.......?? do I have to move to the USA straight away or when the card is renewed? I am British. Thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 7 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James. I will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I need to give you a thorough answer.

Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important. I do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal Expert, just write FOR JAMES at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

If you understand that, please answer the following:

When you left the US two years ago, did you have a Travel Document?

Why have you been outside of the US for 2 years?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I left the States with a British passport...I like Spain and have been spending time both here and the USA as I now travel on a visa waiver entry back to the New York where I go to mostly...I am retired now I used to fly for a US airline.
Just would like to renew my Green Card...hence my question.

OK, thanks.

I understand your question. That is not the problem. Can you please answer the questions I've asked about the Re-Entry Permit Travel Document?

On what basis did you earn the green card?

Also, I think I might not have good news to share with you. I want you to be prepared for the real possibility that you will not be able to renew a green card at this point. Do you understand that I have no control over the outcome, and that I am just a messenger? And that ratings are not based on outcomes, but instead on my service to you?