Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
10285032

I am a full-time employee of a third party company which

Customer Question

Hi, I am a full-time employee of a third party company which holds government contracts with the US - Department of Defense. I received a Vetting Application, Form SF-86 (Personal Security Form), from my workplace which is required by the government for a required security clearance.
The form has a specific field which asks whether I have either (a) Dual Citizenship? or (b) Multiple Citizenships? They also provide for fields to enter which other countries I am a citizen of if I answer either question affirmatively. This is the first time I have been asked about past citizenships. So I had a few questions to ensure I answer these questions appropriately and accurately.
I am a Bangladesh Citizen by birth. I later became a naturalized Canadian citizen. Ultimately, I became an American citizen through naturalization.
I have not lived in Canada for some time now. Consequently, my Canadian passport expired (two years after obtaining my American passport). I have not reapplied to renew my Canadian passport; however, I have not tried to renounce my Canadian citizenship either.
Furthermore, my Bangladesh passport also expired almost 7-8 years ago, and I have not reapplied to renew that passport either.
After considering my background and prior citizenships, I am wondering how I should answer the citizenship fields on the Government Clearance Form (SF-86) for my work? Specifically I had the following questions:
1) As I have not applied for specific "Dual Citizenship" status (since I did not find any specific process for doing so) in the past, am I considered a "Dual Citizen" or a "Citizen of Multiple Countries" in the United States?
2) Which status applies more appropriately to me: "Dual Citizen," or "Citizen of Multiple Countries"?
3) From your past experience in related matters, do you think my government security clearance will be affected by my having multiple citizenships?
4) Is there any other advice you can give me in regards ***** ***** my past citizenships that would help me obtain the required security clearance and/or avoid future confusion?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
1) Actually, just because your passports expired does not mean you are no longer a citizen of those countries. The only way you lose citizenship is if you renounced your citizenship formally in writing. If not, you would declare the citizenship of each country, including Canada and the US where you became a naturalized citizen.
2) You have "multiple citizenships" since you are a citizen of India, Canada and US.
3) You are a citizen of multiple countries through the naturalization process.
4) You need to be 100% honest in the reporting of the citizenships, it is better for you to disclose too much that may not be needed than not disclose enough. The reason being is that even if you tell them too much they can ignore it, but if you fail to put something down on the form they will deny you claiming you are trying to hide information or lied on the form.