Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

My spouse obtained a card in 1994. He subsequently went to

Customer Question

My spouse obtained a green card in 1994. He subsequently went to France because of family illness and when he attempted to return to US he had been gone more than 6 months so his card was taken from him. Is there any recourse for us? We were separated off and on through the years but still consider ourselves married.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am very sorry to hear about this situation. Yes, of course, you can sponsor him. He had his greencard taken away for residing abroad too much, but that does not mean that he would never reapply. You can file an I-130 for him, requesting a new greencard based on marriage. See HERE for the instruction on how to do so.

The process wait time normally takes about 6 months.

(PS I assume you are a US citizen. If not, reply and let me know as my answer will change, then.)

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!