How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3918
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Years I had the American card. I lived in USA years and

Customer Question

For 26 years I had the American green card. I lived in USA for 15 years and divorced from my first wife on 1992, then I came back to live in Venezuela. Since then I visited my children in USA every six months, until May 2.013, when at Miami airport inmigration officers said that I cant use the geeer card as a visa an forced me to sign a paper to give up the residence in order to let me enter the USA, also they say that I might get a tourist visa when I get back to Venezuela, so believed it was reasonable and I signed the paper . When I tryed to get the tourist visa at the American embassy in Caracas, the embassy officers denied the visa without any explanation. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

The most likely reason they denied the visa is because you could not prove that you had non-immigrant intent, which is required for issuance of the visitor visa.

Are you trying to come back with a visitor visa? Or are you trying to come back permanently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All i want is to have de opportunity to get turist visa and go to USA once a year at least for two o three weeks, and visit my children and grandchildren which i did for the last 24 years, at the moment that i went to get the visa at the embasy , the officer ask me for some people that y knew when i was in college in 1979 -82 in Austin TX that smoke pot and i told him that i knew a lot of people that was not my business if they smoke pot or not also i told him that Bill Clinton did it , he got mad at me and didnt give me the visa ,
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

OK, well the first problem is, you should not have challenged the visa officer. They can deny you a visa just because they feel like it. That is their job. It is your job to prove that you deserve it, not their job to prove that you do not. So when you tell them "Bill Clinton did it," like it should not be a big deal, they will get upset and deny you.

When you received the denial, did you get a piece of paper for that?

Related Immigration Law Questions