Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

My friend (female) 65 yrs lives in Mexico City. Have been

Customer Question

My friend (female) 65 yrs lives in Mexico City. Have been dating since June of 2015. Wants to come up here to Tucson, AZ. She is a retired doctor, former movie star. ( if that helps)
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Filled out application Sept 9, 2015
Expert:  Judith replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

What application wis filled out in Sept, 2015?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
non immigrant visitor visa. If we got married how long would a visa take
Expert:  Judith replied 9 months ago.

Thank you but I am a bit confused. A non-immigrant visitor visa is usually a very fast process taking less than a month for the visa interview and visa stamping. I would expect that as a retired doctor and woman of the stage she would have many compelling ties to Mexico which would weigh favorably in her being issued a visitor visa.

Was she denied or was the visa issued.

I ask because there are a couple of options for you and she to marry and for her to get her permanent resident status.

Judith

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The problem is that we applied for an interview 07 September 2015. There seems to be no way to see where we are in line or still in line. I know there is a few $160 but have not seen where or how to pay. Maybe that is why application is stalled .
Expert:  Judith replied 9 months ago.

To be clear she only completed the DS-160 online but never paid the filing fee?

If she goes to this link for the Dept of State she can find out how to pay the fee in Mexico and how to schedule her interview.

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/visas/non-immigrant-visas/how-to-apply.html

That is the hold up, she has to do this and there is no prompting from the consulate for scheduling the appointment and paying the fee.

If she gets the visa she can come to the US and visit you. If you and she spontaneously decide to marry after she has been here at least 60 days you can file her peititon and she can apply for adjustment of status and remain here while she waits. There would be no presumption she misrepresented the intent of her temporary stay when entering if she and you wait to get married. Minds can change over time.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith