Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

Can I get a turist visa in oman if I have a 20 year old

Customer Question

Can I get a turist visa in oman if I have a 20 year old felony
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

What country do you want a tourist visa for?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oman
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a usa passport

This is a US immigration law category. We have no Oman immigration law expert. I will opt out.

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am a us citezen I have my air tickets round trip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am,a us citezen traveling to oman I have a 20 year,old felony will I get a 10 day visa
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Oman does not have a concrete statutory policy in writing about criminal records. Omani authorities make a decision based on:

-how long ago the conviction was

-the nature of the conviction

-the seriousness of the facts

-whether or not there have been criminal acts since that conviction, and

-whatever else the authorities believe to be relative.

Generally speaking, 20 year old felony should not in itself be an issue given how long ago it was, provided it was not a felony based on violence or of a sexual nature.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I have my ticket to go with my employer he says we will get a visa at the airport in oman how does that work and will they check my background
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
I would be wary at leaving the chance to get a visa only after already traveling to Oman. Normally, the visa is requested ahead of time.
Yes, they will normally request a "clearance letter" which in USA translates to a criminal history background check from the FBI - see here:
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My employer has been many times and always is issued a visa at the airport after arriving
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Possibly true. And this is not unusual for this to happen. However give the circumstances for a prior felony, it would be prudent to at least check with the Omani authorities ahead of time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok us citezens are on the list of countries that visas are granted on arrival
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
However, that does not include citizens that may have a felony on their background. The automatic visa granting is not extended to EVERYONE who is a US Citizen. Oman has the right to refuse, and may if one has a felony. Therefore, this is why it would make sense to find out ahead. But of course, this is your decision.