Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am the uncle of a man who would claim this statement .....

Customer Question

I am the uncle of a young man who would claim this statement ..... My father was born in the United States and he is a natural citizen... he's married to my mother who is not a United States citizen. I was born in wedlock I am 20 years old how do I apply for my citizenship. How can I help my nephew thank you
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Did the father spend at least 5 years in the US 3 of those years after the age of 14?

If so, did the father make a Consular Report of Birth at the time the child was born?

Is the father still alive?

Judith

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did the father spend at least 5 years in the US 3 of those years after the age of 14? YesIf so, did the father make a Consular Report of Birth at the time the child was born? I don't knowIs the father still alive? Yes, but he will not communicate with me. I know what city he is in, but not where he lives within the city.
Expert:  Judith replied 8 months ago.

Was the father ever order by a court to provide child support for your nephew?

The father is not willing to acknowledge the child as his son?Judith

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry it takes so long to respond. As far as I know, the parents are still married so no child support has been issued. I'm trying to get a hold of the father but he won't respond to my calls. I will have to call Panama but that will take a day. He used to work as a guard for the Panama Canal, which I believe was a federal job. I will try and get as much information as I can. Michael
Expert:  Judith replied 8 months ago.

Thank you Michael.

When you reply, tell me if the nephew is still in Panama.

He may be able to apply for his US passport provided the father's name is ***** ***** birth certificate and he has the marriage certificate between the parents.

Judith