Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

I am working on F1 with OPT as a post doc. Can I change my

Customer Question

Hi. I am working on F1 with OPT as a post doc. Can I change my status to J-1? If yes, what is the processing time?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Yes, you can apply for a change of status from F-1 to J-1 as long as you are still on valid F-1 status and as long as you are accepted into a J-1 program. The processing time varies, but right now it is 2.5 if you will be filing with the California Service center and a little over one year if you're filing with the Vermont Service center.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Hello there:

I am just checking in to see if you were able to read the answer I sent you and if you had any follow up questions. Please let me know. Hopefully I have earned your positive rating, that is the only way we experts receive credit on this site. Thanks.