Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Judith. I have a question. I currently hold an E2 Visa,

Customer Question

Hi Judith. I have a question for you. I currently hold an E2 Visa, connected to a company I opened in the US. For various reasons, I would like to explore other job opportunities, with a company that is not associated with my company. If this company wants to hire me, what will I need to do to maintain status in the US?
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also, what is the processing time and costs associated with the application(s) that would need to be filed?
Expert:  Judith replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for requesting me.

Unfortunately, you may have waited to long to decide you want to seek an employment opportunity.

The visa which is used for temporary workers is the H1B.

You need to hold a bachelor degree to qualify and if you obtained a degree abroad you need to have a credential evaluator review your transcripts and assert your degree is the equivalent to a US Bachelor degree.

This takes time.

Second, The H1B is in short supply and therefore to begin work on 10/01/16 the employer petition has to be filed 4/1/16. That is in approx 3 weeks. An employer does not have time to do the pre-filing prep work which takes about 6-8 weeks to seek a prevailing wage determination and Labor Attestation from the Dept of Labor which has to accompany the H1B petition to USCIS.

Unless you are a person of extraordinary ability and would qualify for an O-1 visa that would be your only option.

You have to be one of a small percentage who has risen to the top of your field

https://www.uscis.gov/eir/visa-guide/eb-1-extraordinary-ability#

An O-1 petition will run between $2500-5000 in legal fees and filing fee of $325.

It would take approximately 3-5 months for the O-1 visa petition to be adjudicated.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

So, as of now