Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I am on H1B and bought an investment property recently. I

Customer Question

I am on H1B and bought an investment property recently. I want to know if I can rent the house if I use a property manager. At the end of the tax year the property manger is going to give 1099-Misc showing gross income from rental property. I own my primary residence. Do not want to violate my Green Card application as I came to US 10 years ago and I-140 approved.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please let me know if renting an investment property and earning money through it wil create any problem for my future green card process. I currently work full time and take w2 wages at a H1b compliant company.
Expert:  Judith replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

No it is not a violation of the USCIS regulations for you to make a passive investment and earn an income from it. It is no different than interest made from a money market account, or stock dividends or capital gains.

As long as the property manager handles everything, and it appears they are very good having covered the matter of issuing a Misc 1099, you are good to do this investment with no unauthorized employment violation.

No problems with green card or H1B status.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 9 months ago.

I have sent you an offer to have a phone call with me to clarify my answer for you.

Judith