Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

What type of police certificate do I need K1 application?.

Customer Question

FOR JUDITH: What type of police certificate do I need for my K1 application?. My certificate will be from Canada. They offer two types. One is a name based search and the other is an electronic finger print one.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 9 months ago.

POLICE CERTIFICATES: Please obtain police certificates from the police authorities of each country where you have resided for 6 months or more since attaining the age of 16. A police certificate must also be obtained from the police authorities of any place where you have been arrested for any reason, regardless of the length of residence. Residents of Canada may obtain a certificate of no conviction issued by any Canadian police service so long as it notes that Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or the national criminal records repository was searched using your name and date of birth. You should ensure that the search includes all names you have previously used, including maiden names, prior married names, or names used before Canadian naturalization. If a namecheck by a police agency reveals a conviction record, that agency may refer you to the RCMP for a "Certified Criminal Record Check", which lists your criminal history, indicating the section of the Canadian Criminal Code under which you were charged, the disposition of the case, and the penalty imposed (if any). Obtaining a Certified Criminal Records Check requires submission of fingerprints.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Got your answer. Your answer thank you Judith.
Expert:  Judith replied 9 months ago.

You are welcome! Hope it was satisfactory.

Judith