Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Just trying to find information on 2 year legal custody

Customer Question

hello, just trying to find information on 2 year legal custody requirement by immigration.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: me and my wife have finalized legal paperwork in india for adoption of girl child, whom has been living with my family in india for the past 2 years. and I was wondering how can I petition for our child since the legal process in the country has been done?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Immigration Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

If the adoption decree is in the name of you and your wife one of you has to go and live with the child for 2 years.

You the petitioner and not your family must have had PHYSICAL legal custody of the child which means living with the child.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith