Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

My son is 24 years old and was born in the U. S. as I was. s

Customer Question

My son is 24 years old and was born in the U. S. as I was. His mother was born in Mexico and obtained U. S. citizenship some 30 years ago and has a U. S. passport. Recently she obtained a Mexican passport and is a dual citizen.
My son wants to become a dual citizen - Mexico and U. S.
Are there any down sides to this? Is it advisable?
Jesse Jefferies
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

I cannot advise you on any Mexican law but it is not a problem with US.

The US law does require any US citizen to depart and enter the US using their US passport. He could not go to Mexico using the Mexican passport to depart the US, he has to show that if inspected by US authorities. He could use his Mexican passport if inspected by Mexican authorities.

If he departs by air he has to use his US passport with the airlines and must also use it with the airlines when departing Mexico.

While he is in Mexico Mexican law must be followed. If Mexico ever passed a law requiring him to serve in the Military he would have to abide by that law. Same if US passed a draft.

This Dept of State website gives good clear information easily understood.

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith