Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Citizen, lives in East Coast, sponsored Visitor Visa in 2010

Customer Question

I am US citizen, lives in East Coast, sponsored Visitor Visa in 2010 for my mom. My mom got 10 years Multiple Entry Visitor Visa.She came to usa in 2010, after four months, she went back to India.My Brother is Green Card Holder, lives in West Coast. He is bringing my mom to West Coast. I don't want to do financial support for her second visit and I dont' want to become responsible for her hospital bills, in case , if she becomes sick. What I should do ?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: my question is very clear
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

You are worried because you signed an I-134 Affidavit of Support for her back in 2010? Do you have a copy of that? What version was it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I dont have 1-134 copy

Ok. There are three ways to have some protection against liability in this regard:

1) If you filed an old version of the I-134, that older version didn't have teeth, so to speak, meaning that it was a very weak document that I personally never heard of being enforced against anyone. Since the new version is from 2014 and you filed in 2010, you should be fine in that regard.

2) She files for a whole new visa either on her own or has someone else file a new I-134 for her.

3) You get traveler's and/or medical insurance for her to cover her just in case of any health issues.

I think you will be fine just because of #1 above.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She already had multiple entry 10 year Visa. With that she only travelled one time to us, it is in 2010. For her second visit, either she or my brother should again file I-134 ?

A new I-134 is not filed at all. IF she were to apply for a whole new B-2 tourist visa even though the current one has not expired, if she were to apply without an I-134 or with an I-134 from your brother, then that would certainly get you off the hook, but as I keep saying, I think your I-134 was the old version that was a very weak document and I have never heard that being enforced against anyone.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
to be on safe-side, whether I should write a letter or fill any particular form and send to INS to cancel my mom's 10 year visa or withdraw financial support for current visit

There is nothing that you need to write to cancel. She would just apply for a new B-2 visa without an I-134 for you, but I think you are being extreme. What I wrote in #1 is most likely enough.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. As I do not receive a salary, it is the only way that I get credit for my service to you. You are NOT charged again and we do NOT finish just because it says, "Rate to finish" or something like that. I will not abandon you after you rate me positively if you have additional questions. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Suppose some reason, if I want to bring her to US and she don't have enough money to support her. In that case also, I should file I-134 again as her B-2 visa is not yet expired.

No. You would not file another I-134 for her. IF you apply for her to get a green card, then you will need to file an I-864 Affidavit of Support and that one does have teeth and can and most likely will be enforced against you if she uses means-tested public benefits.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions as I will be happy to respond, but because this case is the type of case that I love to handle, I will now send you a low-cost offer so that I can pass on my personal phone number and email. I cannot discuss pricing on an open forum, but if you accept, you will see I have multiple services available to you from document review to full representation and all at very reasonable prices. You won't be disappointed as these are my favorite cases to do and have been doing them for many years. If you decline, no problem, you can ask additional questions without any additional charge. But PLEASE remember to leave a positive rating for me. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Also, a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. And finally, your question does NOT close just because you leave a positive rating. I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Chandra. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Hello. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!