Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

I MARRIED A US CITIZEN 2012 ,SHE FILED I-130 AND I-485 -

Customer Question

I MARRIED A US CITIZEN 2012 ,SHE FILED I-130 AND I-485
- JUNE 2012 WE HAD THE INTERVIEW..NO DECISION UNTIL NOW..
- IN MAY 2015 I FILED FOR DEFFERED ACTION FOR CHILDHOOD ARRIVALS..BECAUSE
I WANT TO FILE FOR DIVOTCE.
- I HAD MY FINGER PRINTS IN JULY 2015 FOR THE DEFERRED ACTION CASE
- MORE THAN 7 MONTHS AND NO DECISION ON THE DEFERRED ACTION CASE.
- MY QUESTION IS :WHAT WIL HAPPEN IF I DIVORCE MY WIFE NOW AND BEFORE THE DECISION IS MADE ON THE DEFERRED ACTION CASE?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Those cases are two completely separate cases so it will not affect your deferred action application ( DACA) just because you divorce your wife. If you divorce your wife, your DACA case will continue processing. You should definitely follow up on the case by calling the 1-800(###) ###-####and find out what the delay is.

As for the I-485, that is an extremely long time for it to be pending. I'm assuming there were some issues with the marriage You can also do the same for your I-485 case, but that you should do at your local service center by making an in person infopass appointment on USCIS.gov. However, You will likely not receive your green card unless they approve your I-485 very soon.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks.
if i divorce before the decision on the deferred action case , am i going to be in removal proceedings process?

You would not automatically be in removal proceedings, no. First your I-485 case would have to be officially denied and if that happens, then the USCIS officer will decide whether to refer your case to immigration court or not. There is a good chance that you may be referred to court if it's denied, but it's not certain. Not all cases are sent to court.

I hope this clarifies your doubts and I hope that you can now issue a positive rating. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks,
is the approval of the deferred action case will protect me from removal proceedings court..so i can withdraw the petition of my us citizen wife (i-130 and i-485)

I will be happy to answer your additional question but please keep in mind that you can ask questions even after you rate me. The question will not close and I do not receive credit unless you rate me.

-- If you are approved for deferred action, you can still be referred to removal proceedings (court) BUT you would be able to have your case administratively closed (temporary closure) while you have valid deferred action status.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if the divorce process is done and i get the divorce decree ..shall i notify the immigration by that or they will be notified by the state or other sources..

Yes, you should notify immigration because if you are approved after that, it would not be valid if you are divorced. Once you get divorced, you should submit a letter to withdraw the I-485. Immigration will not be notified by the state or others.

I must go now but I hope this has clarified and I do hope that now you are able to rate me positively. Thanks in advance!