Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

My F1 Visa was expired a few years ago and I never got any

Customer Question

My F1 Visa was expired a few years ago and I never got any kind of letter from the school or government as far as I know. But that does not mean they didn't send me one.
My question is that now i am going to marry a US citizen girl but people told me that if CIS sent me removal letter for me for missing from a school, I can't go through with the marriage.
I want to know if it is true. If they issued that letter, is there any other way to make my marriage work without getting deported?
Thank you very much
Have a nice day.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

It is true that if ICE sent your SEVIS termination to enforcement and a Notice to Appear before an immigration judge was filed and you failed to appear, the judge would have entered an order of removal in absentia - in your absence.

You can file a FOIA - Freedom of Information Act request with for your ICE records to find out if they issued any NTA.

Here is the link to the page which tells you how to do that.

https://www.ice.gov/foia/request

There is no fee.

You can also retain an attorney who does deportation cases on a regular basis and they often have personal connections at the Immigration Court and ICE and they can make an informal inquiry on your behalf and get this information for you.

Remember though, this is not anything in writing and you are far better off doing a FOIA. It takes more time but it is most accurate. It can take 3-4 months for an response.

If not NTA was issued then you are good to go and can marry and adjust your status here in the US and do not have to leave while in the process.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 10 months ago.

May I answer anything additional for you to earn your satisfaction. I strive to give good customer service and comprehensive answers. I feel I have failed you. Please tell me what additional information would be helpful. Experts are only compensated for their time when a customer gives a positive rating.
Judith