Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

My husband and I are self employed, we own a home building

Customer Question

My husband and I are self employed, we own a home building company, our source of income is the same. we file form 1040 jointly I am sponsoring my parents and I was told when I fill out form I-864 I need to use the total amount of line 22 in the form 1040. in the line my current individual income is ( shall I put 1/2 of the total amount that was used in line 22 of the form 1040
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
or shall I use 1/2 of the amount listed on the schedule C?
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. You would use half of the amount of the adjusted gross income reported in line 22 of the 1040, after all deductions have been made.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
FOR JENNIFER,
Thank you Jennifer, I would like to specify. I thought line 22 in the form 1040- is the total income and the adjusted gross income is in line 37 in the form 1040. Are you sure that I don't need line 31 in the Schedule C ( the net income) since we own the business? PLease specify

Hi again.. Yes it is the adjusted gross income that should be used and this figure takes into consideration Schedule C. But It is actually line 37, not 22, I'm sorry.

I hope this answers your question and hopefully you can now issue a positive rating. Best of luck!

HI again.. it has been a few days since I last answered your question. I was just checking in to see whether you had any questions or clarifications. I would like to earn your positive rating so hopefully you can issue one. Thanks!