Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I m greencardholder and i have feloney of selling alcohol to

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****..i m greencardholder and i have feloney of selling alcohol to minor ..do this effect my greencard
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its been 1yrs ..my attorney always change my courts date..he always told me to concern immigration lawer and i donot have money to hire..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Immigration Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Did you ask for ID?

Did the minor present you with false ID?

What is the possible maximum sentence if convicted?

Is there any possibility for negotiating this to a misdemeanor?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My attorney say concerned to immigration lawer...what I need to

Did you ask for ID?

Did the minor give you false ID?

What is the possible maximum sentence for the crime?

Is your lawyer trying to plead this down to a misdemeanor?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see I'd also n I sale alcohol to under 18 and I sit in jail also and I have free attorney and he plead for court to give me 40 hrs community work ..but before going to court he told me to concern immigration lawer and get letter. .I don't know what letter

How long have you had your green card?

Can he get this down to a misdemeanor?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2yrs and I don't know he do misdemeanor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he do..40 hrs community service. .I mean 27 yes old

If your lawyer can get this reduced to a misdemeanor then it would not fall under a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude unless the specific law states selling to a minor means you have an intent to contribute to the delinquency of a minor.

Since I do not know what the law says that you are charged under and whether your lawyer can get this reduced to a misdemeanor I cannot say for sure you are safe from removal.

A misdemeanor crime of sale of alcohol to a minor is generally not a CMIT. But it depends on the wording of the law you are charged with.

Acts of moral turpitude, although not subject to exact definition, are characterized by "baseness, vileness, or the depravity in private and social duties which man owes to his fellow man, or to society in general * * *." This court has before found that moral turpitude is generally defined as an "[a]ct or behavior that gravely violates moral sentiment or accepted moral standards of [the] community and is a morally culpable quality held to be present in some criminal offenses as distinguished from others."

Generally any liquor violation is not a CMIT, it is a crime but not a CMIT unless it is raised to a felony because it is delinquency of a minor.

So you need to find out this from your criminal lawyer. Show this to him. He can contact me through this thread on your behalf.

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith