Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

Can a selective service system member with a number who

Customer Question

Can a selective service system member with a number who registered in January 27, 2003 who satisfied the MSSA By registering Marry a non citizen and they automatically become a citizen after receiving marriage license I do have my selective service number and my documentation proving that I'm registered
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

The person who registered for selective service is a US citizen? Can you please rephrase the question, it is a bit confusing. -- Please explain.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Correct my partner is not and we were wanting to get married, and I would like to know if my spouse after reciving our marriage license would automatically become a citizen

No unfortunately that is not how the immigration law works in the United States. If a non citizen of the US marries US citizen, the US citizen can petition them for their green card first if the non citizen entered the US legally with a visa (except the C1/D visa). If they entered the US illegally then there are a few extra steps and a waiver required. Once the non citizen has their green card for 3 years, THEN they can apply to become a US citizen if they are still married to the US citizen.

For military members, there is a way to expedite citizenship once the noncitizen has a green card (but not before) and only if the military member will be deployed. You can read about it here https://www.uscis.gov/military/citizenship-military-personnel-family-members/citizenship-spouses-and-children-military-members

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.