Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I red an Italian citizen to run a division of my company. He

Customer Question

I hired an Italian citizen to run a division of my company. He wasgiven an 18 month J! Visa that we would like to extend as he applies for a Green Card.
Is this possible?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

You qualified your company as a J-1 program? Is his J-1 subject to 212(e)? You can check his visa stamp in his passport and/or his DS-2019. And what category would he apply for a green card?

Also, what is the maximum length of your program?

And what type of program is it?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

An extension depends on what type of program it is. Here is a link to a good article:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-long-your-j-1-visa-will-last.html

So depending on the type of program he is in, if the maximum is 18 months, he cannot get an extension. He would need to leave the U.S. and perhaps apply for a new program. Also, if he is subject to 212(e), he will need to go home for 2 years unless he gets a very hard to get waiver.

If the program maximum is over 18 months, then he can get an extension. Here is a link:

http://j1visa.state.gov/participants/current/adjustments-and-extensions/

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Stephen. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Hello Stephen. Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.