Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

If a person who was 17 years old in 1988 entered the US as a

Customer Question

If a person who was 17 years old in 1988 entered the US as a lawful permanent resident and his mother was a naturalized US citizen, does that qualify the child for automatic citizenship?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Were the parents married? If they were, was the father a U.S. Citizen? If they were not married, was the person living with their mother after they entered the U.S. and before they turned 18?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the parents were never married and the father passed away when the child was 14 years old. He was from Central America and was never in the US. Yes, the child lived with his mother when they entered the country up until about the age of 20.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant to say he lived with his mother when HE entered the US ( mom was already in the US)

Ok. Take a look at this link on the second page:

http://dc.fd.org/library/naturalization%20chart.pdf

The child automatically became a U.S. Citizen on the date that he entered the U.S. as a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident and began living with his mother, a U.S. Citizen as long as all of that happened before he turned 18. He would need to file an N-600 to request a Certificate of U.S. Citizenship. Here is a link:

https://www.uscis.gov/n-600

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My brother and I will review the documents you sent me. I have a feeling we might have some additional questions afterwards so I think we will be interested in speaking via phone or email. Please let me know approximately how much that would cost and the best way of reaching you.
Thank You very much for your assistance and great service!

I will send the offer to you now.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!