Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Me and my spouse filed I-751 on September we were together

Customer Question

Hello , me and my spouse filed I-751 on September we were together and on good terms, i did my biometrics as well , my spouse HAS FILED FOR DIVORCE, and i still didn't get the interview for my petition of removing conditions PLEASE HELP
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We got married in good faith on September 2012, i got my permanent resident on 10/15/13 and it expired on 10/15/15.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

When did you file the I-751? When did your spouse file the divorce?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I filed my I-751 around September 15 they received it on September 21 2015, my spouse filed for divorce on this last Monday.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We have been married for over 3 years, and we also lived together till October she moved out and separated with me now she has filed for divorce and i got served with divorce papers yesterday

Ok. You will need to amend your I-751 and change it to an I-751 waiver.

Here is some information on that:

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/conditional-permanent-residence/remove-conditions-permanent-residence-based-marriage

Focus on where it says, "If You Are In Divorce Proceedings But Are Not Yet Divorced"

Here is a list of things that I like to give my clients and I know that you may not have all of these things, but the more you have, the better it is.

A letter where you describe, in a very detailed fashion, the circumstances in which you met your spouse, the reasons you married, and the feelings and emotions that you had or still have towards your spouse, and why.
If you have a child or children together, the birth certificate for each child.
Wedding pictures and pictures of other moments when you and your spouse, and other members of your families and friends have been together.
Very detailed letters from people who know you and your spouse and who are witnesses that your marriage was valid, who were at your wedding, or who knew you as a married couple.
Love letters or cards that you received from your spouse while in the relationship.
Letters from people addressed to both you and your spouse, or in which the person who wrote the letter refers to both of you as a couple.
Any types of documents that have both your names on them that show that you bought a car, a house, furniture, or anything else together.
Any rental or lease agreements for your home or apartment with both of your names on it or a letter from the building manager or owner proving that you lived together.
Bank or financial statements that show that you had or have a savings or checking account together.
Any insurance documents that show that you were or still are covered by your spouse's insurance plan, or that your plan covers or covered him or her.
Bills, such as electricity, water, heat, cable TV, phone, or others that show both you and your spouse's names.
Jointly-filed Income tax papers (both your names).
An identification card that shows that shows a common address.
Membership cards for video clubs, grocery stores or similar businesses, that show joint membership.
Any other documents that prove your relationship.

You will need to submit evidence similar to the evidence that you submitted at your marriage interview. You must prove that even though you divorced, your marriage was not entered into solely for the purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit.

So you do need to inform USCIS that you are separated and your divorce is in process because you do not want then to approve a regular I-751 as that will cause you a problem when you apply for U.S. Citizenship in the future. So inform them and continue to collect evidence that your relationship was real but just fell apart. It happens and they understand that.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Dardan. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!