How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jennifer Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3606
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jennifer Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Citizen. My mom is Hungarian, has a visitor visa years. She

Customer Question

I am US citizen. My mom is Hungarian , has a visitor visa for 10 years. She was here last year from May to December 7. We wanted her to come back and have some more time with grand kids. On December 29 she came back but got an I94 only until January 29. She will leave the country if she needs to but
1/ is there a way to extend her stay until June ?
2/ if no way to extend this stay how do we apply for a green card and how long does that typically take ?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

1. There is a possibility in extending it but it's not for certain that the application will be approved. You can definitely try. To do it You would submit an I-539 application found on She should send a letter explaining why she wishes to extend her stay. She should also provide documental proof of any ties she has back home as evidence that she does intend to leave in June such as property ownership, bank accounts, jobs, other children/spouse there. She can legally remain in the US until she receives a response as long as USCIS receives the application before January 29th.

2. To apply for a green card, you would submit the I-130, I-485, I-864, G-325a (one for you and one for her) I-131 (travel permit optional), I-765( work permit optional) all together with supporting documents.

Read the I-864 carefully and make sure your income qualifies, if not you need a joint sponsor.

Together with the forms you will also send:

-Immigration medical exam for your mom (Find a doctor at

-2 passport style photos for you, 8 for your her (2 each for I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765)

-Checks or money orders $1070 and $420 ($1490 total) made to DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

-Your birth certificate (with certified translation if necessary)

-Copy of your US passport biographical page

-Copy of her passport biographical page

-Copy of her I-94

-Copy of her birth certificate with certified translation if needed

AND - Your last tax returns and W-2

Make a copy of your whole packet for yourself. Mail the original to:


PO Box 805887

Chicago, IL###-##-####/p>

This is the address if you want to do Express mailing:


Attn: FBAS

131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL###-##-####/p>

All forms and instructions found on . On average it takes about 5-6 months for her to receive her green card, after filing it. She would receive a travel permit and work permit (if you send those applications also) in about 3-4 months after filing them. So she gets those first in case she needs to travel outside the US while it's pending. Otherwise she can't travel outside the US until she receives the green card or her application for her green card will be canceled.

Also just so you know, if her petition for extension of tourist visa ends up getting denied, she either has to leave immediately (within 10 days) or if not, she can still apply for the green card at that point even if the tourist visa is expired.

I know immigration issues sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with application preparation or review, I can send you an offer for this legal service to you for a reasonable fee later on. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again..

It has been a few days since I sent you your answer. I am just checking whether you were able to view it and whether you had any follow up questions that I can answer for you?

Please let me know as I would like to earn your positive rating.